Friday, October 16, 2015

Yak Shaving #-1: The good news, the bad news and the Yak Shaving.

The good news are: I have definitely decided that GTK is not worth fighting with it, facing a Qt as an alternative. The difficulties to find a documentation/explanations (and alive people who would have had the knowledge and were willing to help) were so big that I decided to cancel the complete topic altogether.
The bad news is the other side of the good one: I gave up on GTK and if I want to implement any GUI stuff, Qt is an option as it just has more clear future.
But the ugly news is the fact that there is no sense to do anything based on Qt for GIMP. Or at least it sounds a bit perversely. I am not sure I want to touch it even with a 10-meter stick.

Ah yes, and one more thing. I see no place for lisp there anymore.

Hopefully Yak Shaving is over.

For those who are interested, the original idea was to introduce the non-destructive editing into GIMP. After fighting with the GTK+ (and a little bit with Lisp world, too, because I cannot imagine any good reason for developing a graphics editor on plain C in 2015), and also after confirming that there are proprietary but inexpensive alternatives to Photoshop (like Bloom) with aforementioned non-destructive abilities, I decide to give up on this topic as on not interesting. In my opinion it has no or too less potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List