Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Docker for GIMP: task is on hold

After fighting with dependencies necessary to compile GIMP (yes, now I can do it professionally) I've got another idea: what if I put necessary parts into the docker container? Any newcomer could benefit from having such a preconfigured development environment. The need for the container is simple: it is difficult-to-impossible to automate one step in the build as the necessary libraries are:
...where lcms2 cannot be downloaded automatically (or at least I did not find how to do this) and gdk-pixbuf is placed on the ftp in the way so that I cannot link to the latest version without some sophisticated script. But I could create the docker container. Well, theoretically I can do it as I never did it before.
I thought about two different flavors of the containers: the smallest necessary one which would have only these two mentioned libraries and the complete, huge one which would have everything up to the ubuntu into it.

Anyway, as the solution seems to be only a half-measure because it would break in case any of three participants (gimp itself, lcms2 and gdk-pixbuf) would change in some incompatible way, I put this task on hold.

Alas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List