Tuesday, April 5, 2011

On Switching Window Configurations in Emacs

I missed the stability in Emacs' layouts. In short, ESC ESC ESC command could break current layout. It was annoying. I missed some fixer to make my Emacs usable. I looked for it for a long time and finally found it: Windows And Registers. Also, the section Switching Window Configurations is interesting.

Short description:
  • C-x r w – stores the current configuration in a register
  • C-x r j – restores the configuration from a register
Example:
  • C-x r w 1 – store the current configuration
  • C-x 2 – split vertically
  • C-x 3 – split horizontally
  • C-x r j 1 – restore the stored window configuration

2 comments:

  1. By chance I found your post. I'm also using this quite heavily but it is not perfect for me, since it fixes the positions in the windows at creation time (see my question at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5830494/windows-configuration-to-registers). Do you cope with that in some way?

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In short, I have to admit that this problem is still available. I haven't solved it yet. It is just not the biggest problem I have. So I did not work on it.

    The thing is, I used to use editors like Notepad++ and MSVS and I miss a lot of functions from them in Emacs. For instance, I needed at least some protection from ESC-ESC-ESC sequence that killed all other frames on the screen, so I found the solution I presented in this post.

    Eventually I will get to the point where this problem would be annoying enough to be solved.

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List